Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Judge says $475,000 award in New Hampshire youth center abuse case would be ‘miscarriage of justice’ -Capitatum
Algosensey|Judge says $475,000 award in New Hampshire youth center abuse case would be ‘miscarriage of justice’
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:45:40
CONCORD,Algosensey N.H. (AP) — The judge who oversaw a landmark trial over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center says capping the verdict at $475,000 as the state proposes would be an “unconscionable miscarriage of justice.”
In a lengthy order issued Wednesday, Judge Andrew Schulman outlined five options for addressing the dispute that arose after a jury awarded $38 million to a man who said he was beaten and raped hundreds of times at the Youth Development Center but found the state liable for only one incident of abuse. Jurors weren’t told that state law caps claims against the state at $475,000 per “incident,” and some later said they wrote “one” to reflect a single case of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from more than 100 episodes of physical, sexual and emotional abuse.
“The cognitive dissonance between a $38 million verdict and the finding of a ‘single incident’ of actionable abuse cannot stand,” wrote Schulman, who acknowledged that he should have instructed the jury more clearly.
Schulman already has rejected what he called the two worst options: reconvening the jury or questioning them about their decision. The latter would mean no verdict would have finality because jurors could upend them based on little more than “buyer’s remorse,” he wrote.
He appeared equally against the third option, granting the state’s motion to apply the damages cap to the single “incident” found by the jury.
“There was plainly more than one incident,” he wrote. “Entering a verdict of $475,000, when the only proper verdict is many multiples of that number would be a gross and unconscionable miscarriage of justice.”
That leaves two options: ordering a new trial or adjusting the number of incidents on the verdict form. Schulman said a new trial would be a “legally correct” but extremely burdensome choice that could delay justice not only for the plaintiff, David Meehan, but the more than 1,100 other former residents of the youth center who have filed similar lawsuits. He also noted that another monthlong trial could be harmful to Meehan’s mental health.
“The least incorrect” option, Schulman said, might be something akin to a process by which a judge can add damages to an original amount awarded by the jury if a defendant waives a new trial. He calculated that the lowest reasonable number of incidents was 155 and proposed reducing that by 25% as a “large deliberate error” in the state’s favor.
“Although the determination of witness credibility is not the court’s to make, in the court’s eyes, the plaintiff was a most credible witness,” he wrote. “No reasonable jury could have accepted the gist of plaintiff’s testimony, awarded $38 million in damages, and found less than 116 incidents.”
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested though charges against one of them were dropped after he was found incompetent to stand trial.
Over the four-week trial, Meehan’s attorneys argued that the state encouraged a culture of abuse marked by pervasive brutality, corruption and a code of silence. The state, which portrayed Meehan as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and delusional adult, argued that he waited too long to sue and that it shouldn’t be held liable for the actions of “rogue” employees.
A hearing on the verdict dispute is scheduled for next month.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Utah school district addresses rumors of furries 'biting,' 'licking,' reports say
- Trial opens for former Virginia hospital medical director accused of sexual abuse of ex-patients
- Rapper Chris King Dead at 32 After Shooting: Justin Bieber, Machine Gun Kelly and More Pay Tribute
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- America’s child care crisis is holding back moms without college degrees
- Nelly Korda puts bid for 6th straight victory on hold after withdrawing from Los Angeles tourney
- Protests embroil Columbia, other campuses as tensions flare over war in Gaza: Live updates
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Dairy from a galaxy far, far away: Blue milk from 'Star Wars' hits shelves ahead of May the 4th
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Buffalo Sabres hire Lindy Ruff again: What to know about their new/old coach
- What happened to Kid Cudi? Coachella set ends abruptly after broken foot
- Why Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger Are Facing Backlash Over Demolishing a Los Angeles Home
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- America’s child care crisis is holding back moms without college degrees
- Taylor Swift Reveals the Real Meaning Behind The Tortured Poets Department Songs
- MLB power rankings: The futile Chicago White Sox are the worst team in baseball ... by far
Recommendation
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
Officials identify Marine who died during training near Camp Lejeune in North Carolina
Express files for bankruptcy, plans to close nearly 100 stores
Trump’s $175 million bond in New York civil fraud judgment case is settled with cash promise
The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
Bill allowing parents to be fined for child’s criminal offenses heads to Tennessee governor
See the bronze, corgi-adorned statue honoring Queen Elizabeth II on her 98th birthday: Photos
Once estimated to cost $1.7 million, San Francisco's long-mocked toilet is up and running